Monday, March 31, 2008

Myth: Digital TV is Only Good for 20 to 30 Miles

One of the common misconceptions being spread by those who oppose the digital transition is that digital broadcast signals are only usable for 20 to 30 miles or less. This couldn't be further from the truth. At my parents house in Arizona they have a television with a built-in ATSC turner and a 20 dollar antenna. Their house is 45 miles from the Phoenix broadcast towers on South Mountain. They can hardly receive the analog broadcast channels but they can receive every digital station and all the extra sub-channels. When added up they get more than 20 channels of unique programming for free.

1 comment:

Art said...

I had also heard the rumor that digital signals were more difficult to receive. Like you, I have not found that to be the case. I get all the stations I expected, and then some. Here are all the details:

http://handyman.deep-ice.com/HDTV.htm